Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Something Like Spring

Something Like Spring …

Anyone in the area knows what wonderful weather we’ve been having lately … I was all ready to post a glorious Spring post at the end of last week … and then the last few days have been way above normal high temperatures (“mom, can I wear shorts today?”) … today and the rest of the week it is supposed to return to more normal temperatures and there is a chance of showers for the next several days … and by the weekend it could be downright cold again … ah yes, it is indeed something like Spring here. :-)

I love it. In fact I think spring has become my favorite time of the year. I didn’t want to admit it before this year because I just felt like I was betraying the fall. And while Autumn still has its own glory, especially in an area full of fall color, it is a time of dying and coming darkness and cold … while Spring is a time of life and rebirth …

Friday night we were blessed with the company of a good friend and her new husband. ;-) It was a wonderful night of catching up and getting to know … and Nessa showed us that, like most kids, she knew how to go into prime “show off” mode when someone new comes to visit. It was quite hilarious watching her as she did everything but sit still.

Saturday I spent the afternoon in Red Wing with my sisters and even though that day was much cooler than we had expected, it was still a glorious day complete with a slow lazy lunch and much shopping as we wandered through the small river town. Even the drive was wonderful as the rain held off and I was able to listen to whatever I wanted (much NPR and a Maggie’s Farm CD). That night Shawn and I went to LCT’s production of “You Can’t Take it With You.” It was a full and wonderful day.

Sunday surprised us with glorious sun and record-breaking temps (83 in La Crosse I believe) so I felt a bit guilty as I had to nap a bit when Nessa did to recover from my (food) indulgences the previous day. After we were fully rested we hit the school play ground with the girls and had lots of fun as Nessa followed Megan around wanting to do everything she did and nothing else. We managed to trick Nessa into walking home without the pouting of previous park outings this year by first walking on the sidewalk away from our usual route to and from the playground (mom: “Nessa, where do you think this sidewalk goes? Let’s find out.”) and before we knew it we had gone on an adventure around the school, over a block, and down the street back home. :-)

Yesterday after my Monday appointments and getting a little work in, we decided that having a second day of record breaking temps in a row (I kept checking the calendar to be sure it was really March), deserved a nice long walk down by Riverside Park. Megan and I picked up Nessa as early as we could and headed down to Riverside where Shawn met us after work. We all walked along the river and then Shawn went to find us some food for a picnic supper while Megan, Nessa and I walked a mile or so down the trail. Nessa was actually very happy to be in the stroller and she kept pointing out all of the runners, bikers and others using the trail too. We almost lost the only sun hat the fits Nessa right now while Megan and I were chatting and reading a trail sign, but luckily we found it on our way back. (I’m sure this is similar to how Nessa lost her first blanket.) When we returned from the trail Nessa ran around the International Friendship Garden area a bit and demonstrated her new climbing skills as she went up and down the benches. And then it was time to eat and head back home.

Even at home we couldn’t quite let the day go so at about 7 p.m. we were all sitting in the front yard eating ice cream (or something like ice cream in my case). Nessa kept finishing what I gave her and wanting more. :-) Then Megan rolled down the hill over and over and Nessa watched and played on her own while only occasionally seeming like she was going to try to roll down the hill … by the time summer arrives I’m sure she’ll become and expert at it.

While Megan wasted no time finding her shorts and wearing them to school on Monday … Nessa has had a bit harder time transitioning. At first the spring “watermelon” coat was interesting enough to be exciting to wear, but apparently the novelty has worn off and today she insisted on wearing her PINK coat (i.e. her winter coat AND hat) … yesterday it was challenging to convince her to not wear sweatpants as well and she insisted on wearing that spring coat while we were out walking even though it was sunny and 80! Toddlers are so much fun! :-)

I promise there will be lots of pictures posted before the end of March!

Until then, enjoy a bit of Spring poetry:


Spring is like a perhaps hand by E. E. Cummings
III

Spring is like a perhaps hand
(which comes carefully
out of Nowhere)arranging
a window,into which people look(while
people stare
arranging and changing placing
carefully there a strange
thing and a known thing here)and

changing everything carefully

spring is like a perhaps
Hand in a window
(carefully to
and fro moving New and
Old things,while
people stare carefully
moving a perhaps
fraction of flower here placing
an inch of air there)and

without breaking anything

No comments: