Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy 4th of July -- and misc. notes

How exactly did it get to be the 4th of July already? Well, I don't think I'll ever get a handle on how fast the days go by, but most of them have been quite enjoyable so that's a good thing. :-) I only wish we could see all of our friends and family more often. On to what we've been up to ...

We hope everyone had an enjoyable 4th of July. We enjoyed staying home for the extended weekend (well, Tami worked on Monday) and having fun around home. Over the weekend we had friends over for dinner both Saturday and Sunday evening which was wonderful because it's been a long time since we've done that and also because then we HAD TO clean up the dining room so we could actually use the table. We also used the grill for the first (and second!) time this summer.

Saturday Tami got to sleep in as Shawn and Nessa went off adventuring (that's what the note said!). Nessa and Daddy have been practically making it a habit to go to rummage sales every Saturday morning so Mommy wasn't too surprised that they went this weekend too. Daddy is getting very good at finding great clothes and fun toys at the rummage sales and Mom likes imagining everyone smiling at "the Daddy and daughter." Tuesday was Shawn's turn to sleep in, but after being up with Nessa twice during the night, Mommy didn't go out adventuring, but rather hung out in the living room and kitchen.

Daddy also got some "extra" one-on-one time with Nessa on Friday night while I was visiting my doula client for a postpartum visit. It was great to see my client doing so well (as was the baby and father), but I missed spending the night with my own family. And although it was an honor to be a part of this family's special event I don't think I'll be going back into doula work or going back to school in order to do birth work any time soon. Being on call was rather stressful for us as a family and I realized that I'm much happier working as a passionate birth advocate through ICAN and other organizations (our local ICAN chapter is up and going -- meeting the first Thursday of the month! www.ican-online.org).

OK, back to our long weekend...

Monday I went in to work for most of the day because I didn't want to lose hours with being off today (the 4th) and also because I was sick one day last week and I wanted to make up those hours. So Shawn took the girls to the library in the morning and then after lunch and nap time they went to the swimming pool for the afternoon. After I was done with work it was time for a super quick supper and then it was off to another La Crosse pool for swimming lessons. Megan is in level 3 swimming lessons this year and Nessa is in a parent/toddler swimming lesson. Both Megan and Nessa are loving the water this year (we promise to bring the camera to lessons at some point). Nessa even went down the water slide -- it was the short tunnel slide that drops into the deep end, but the teacher caught her -- I think mom was more scared to let Nessa go down the slide than Nessa was -- she smiled all the way down, but wasn't quite so sure at the bottom when it was someone other than mom holding her.

Tuesday was (or should I say is) a relaxed day for the most part. We spent a few hours at Riverfest (see previous post), but Nessa wanted to run around more than anything else, including eating and napping in the stroller so we didn't get to do as much as we might otherwise have done while there.

Nessa and Megan were both dressed in red, white and blue for the 4th so I wanted to be sure to get at least one photo of them together today -- and these photos at Riverside are the best I think I'm going to get.


This year is La Crosse's 150th birthday -- and here's the sand cake on display at Riverside (it also advertises the sand building contest that is there in early August).



I'm sure there's many things I'm forgetting, but that (and the previous 5 posts!) should catch you all up on what has been going on with us! If you read closely, you read that Nessa is indeed walking now -- sometimes almost running! And I think she's had a few growth spurts too as she's reaching all kinds of things she never used to be able to reach! Yes, we're living with a real toddler now ...

No comments: