Monday, April 02, 2007

To My Daughter On Her 2nd Birthday

Nessa Rose, my sweet girl:

You're two years old today! Do you feel any different? You're very different to me. You're walking and talking, running and jumping, signing and singing. You can spell your name and say your prayers before bed. You can communicate with us now, and that's so exciting!

Your world has expanded. You have your friends at daycare and at church. You know that there are parks and playgrounds and other fun places to visit. You've discovered Blue's Clues and Veggie Tales and Eric Carle books. You're out of your high chair and into a booster seat, and you're starting to use big girl cups. You can almost go up and down stairs by yourself. It seems like every day you show us something new that you've learned to do.

You've changed me too, little girl, in all sorts of ways. You've taught me how to be at ease with children. You've taught me how to play with you, comfort you, talk to you, and teach you things. You've changed all my priorities. I would much rather buy something fun for you than for myself. I love to take you places and show you things and see the wonder and delight in your eyes.

The love you give me is palpable. When you come running up to hug me at daycare, or squeal "Daddy!" when I come through the door at home, or snuggle into my shoulder when I sing to you, that love washes over me and soothes whatever is aching. When you reach up your arms for me to pick you up, or giggle when I'm tickling you, my heart sings a song it never used to know.

You are my greatest treasure, my sweet girl. You and your mommy fill my world with love and joy. Thank you for everything you give me. I'm looking forward to watching you grow and explore the world more and more. Don't be afraid to see what's out there. I'll be right here waiting for you to come back and tell me all about it.

Happy birthday, Nessa Rose!

Love,
Daddy

No comments: