Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Seeing Santa 2006

We took the girls to see Santa at the Rotary Lights Sunday evening. (For those who don't know, Rotary Lights is a huge light display that covers most of a city park by the Mississippi, put on by the area Rotary clubs. Santa is there every evening with his reindeer.) The temperature was in the 40's so we thought it would be a good night to go.

The line to see Santa goes alongside the reindeer pen, so we got to watch the reindeer chasing each other around while waiting. Just before you go into Santa's hut, there is an elf who asks the children's names and gives them a button and a candy cane. Nessa has cottoned on to the sugary, sticky delights of candy canes, so as soon as the elf handed her one, she was all over that. Nothing would do but that she got that candy cane open, and I mean right now.

I was trying to open one end for her so she could suck on it while holding the wrapper (so she wouldn't get all sticky--I'm such a parent sometimes), but Nessa wasn't having any of that. She was still trying to get the rest of the wrapper off as she went in and sat down by Santa. Megan told Santa what she wanted, and then Santa asked what Nessa wanted. Having finally removed the wrapper, Nessa realized that this man was talking to her. Now, I'm not sure if Nessa thought that Santa wanted it, or if she was trying to be good and give it to an adult, or if Santa was simply convenient...but once Santa had her attention, Nessa handed him the wrapper! I was trying not to laugh too hard to keep taking pictures. Santa very kindly accepted the wrapper (I relieved him of it on our way out) and Nessa was happy.

"What would you like for Christmas, Nessa?"



"Yes, you may have my wrapper."



"Aren't I the clever one!"



They also have a large sleigh in the park for taking family pictures. Nessa was getting fussy by that point and didn't want to sit still, but Megan was glad to get her picture taken in the sleigh.


We weren't able to spend as much time walking around and seeing the lights as we wanted, because Nessa was tired and cranky. I took her back to the car while Tami and Megan took an abbreviated route around the rest of the park. At least we got to see Santa!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is an awkward way to respond to your Christmas card, but somehow I lost your envelope with the return address, and I'm not sure the one I have is updated, so. . .I hope you all have a very happy and healthy New Year!
And thank you for the card, as well as the very detailed blog!