Thursday, November 10, 2005

Happy Birthday, Emily



We went to visit Emily today. It was a beautiful sunny day, a little windy but not too cold. We took her some dark pink roses and a heart-shaped helium balloon with X's and O's on it--pretty things that we knew a little girl would like.





We carefully and lovingly removed the pine needles and bits of grass from the beautiful design on Emily's stone, as we always do. The roses and the sun made the gray stone look almost warm. We wished Emily "Happy Birthday" and told her how much we love and miss her.





We also introduced Nessa to Emily. Nessa liked touching the stone and the flowers. Someday we'll tell Nessa all about Emily, and how because of Emily, Nessa means even more to Tami--and me--than she would have anyway. For now, it was enough to see Nessa smile, to let that smile be a ray of hope in our hearts, and to feel that, though we will always miss Emily very much, things will be OK in time.



Happy Birthday, Emily.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a very nice time at the cemetary and visiting Emily. We talked about her last night too and remembered her, even though I think of her often. Ahnika was asking about her name and wanted to see pictures last night of Great Grandma Lue and Emily. We looked at the scrapbooks and looked at my pictures of baby Emily that I am so greatful I have - it was very touching and Ahnika really enjoyed it. She said, "oh she's so cute momma" it was very innocent and sweet. As she gets older I will tell her more. It was very touching for Lance and I. Love you lots - Ellen

rae rae said...

Shawn... I just wanted to tell you what a wonderful husband you are to Tami... even though I've never met you, I can tell you are a kind spirit. Happy Birthday Emily; Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Tami of BrooksGroth said...

Ellen, thank you for sharing that with us. I can just picture Ahnika
doing/saying that. You all have been there from the beginning to honor and now remember Emily and we so appreciate it. Yesterday was a nice day of remembrance.

Heather -- thank you for your thoughts. It makes me happy when others can see and know how wonderful Shawn is. :-)

Love and belief to all,
Tami

Mel & Jo said...

What a great comment from Ahnika - she sounds so sweet! And I'm glad to hear that Nessa was introduced to Emily. It sounds like the four of you had a beautiful day on which to visit Emily - and took her great gifts :) She definitely has a loving family!

Happy Birthday Emily Lin!
Love,
Kevin & Jo