Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Flowers and cake to remember Emily

Emily Lin's birthday is tomorrow, Thursday, November 10th. I suspect one of us will write about the day later this week. Today, I want to ask you all to keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we remember Emily.

This year Megan is grieving as an 8 year old (she was 4 when Emily was born/died) and I have been struggling with how to best assist her in expressing and releasing that grief. Megan becomes sad several times throughout the day that she tells me about and I've been encouraging her to write and draw about what she feels when she isn't able to talk to me or someone else. When you talk to Megan and if it feels right, please go ahead and talk to her about Emily. I think it helps Megan to know that it's okay to talk about Emily and to know that her feelings are normal. One thing that has helped me to understand a bit of what Megan is going through now, four years after Emily died, is that children usually need to continue to process and grieve at each developmental stage until they reach adulthood and can grieve with the understanding of an adult and reach some type of resolution.

The flowers in the photo are the flowers that we had at church this Sunday in remembrance of Emily. It was especially nice since it was All Saints Sunday.

The cake is a cake that Megan and I made for Emily's birthday. Some of you may remember that Megan made a birthday cake for "the baby" with my midwife (Katy) at our home the morning I first went into labor with Emily (two days before Emily's birth and death). We didn't eat any of that cake that year, but I wanted to start a tradition of making an angel food cake as part of remembering Emily each year. This year that was especially important as Megan was again able to be a part of making and decorating the cake. Megan chose a confetti angel food cake mix, pink frosting (of course), various sprinkles and some food coloring markers to decorate the cake. I let her decorate it however she wanted to on Monday night and we lit the candles and ate it on Tuesday night.

Megan included many meaningful symbols on the cake including hearts, flowers, Xs and Os for kisses and hugs, and her thought to Emily, "Emily, I love you."

The rest of us are echoing the same sentiment this week -- Emily, we love you and miss you.

4 comments:

Mel & Jo said...

Tami & Megan -

Kevin and I are thinking of the two of you during this time of the loss of your daughter/sister. We hope that the two of you are there to comfort each other - in addition to having Shawn, and now Nessa, to give you some hugs, kisses, and newly-toothy smiles to help ease the pain. I think it's wonderful that you're baking a cake each year to celebrate Emily's life!! This year's cake does look quite tasty Megan - good job on the decorating :)

To Emily -
Love,
Jo

rae rae said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family today. I can't even begin to imagine the grief you both have experienced but lean on the ones you love now and always.

Anonymous said...

You are all in our thoughts on this special day.
-Rachel

Anonymous said...

Love and thoughts to each of you - I have been thinking about you all this week and remembering Emily too. I will never forget her and her birth. I love the idea of making a cake for her! Love and prayers to you all. Miss you all.
Aunt Ellen