Monday, September 15, 2008

Taking a 3-year-old to the zoo is ...

Exhausting!

Taking a 3-year-old to the zoo as part of a group with another 3-year-old, a 1-year-old, a 5-year-old, a 5-month-0ld, and an 11-year old ... in the rain ....

Well, we'll get back to you when we recover ...

OK, seriously, it was a great day in many ways (what's up with us and getting rained on though?), and Megan was a HUGE help. And, yes, we ended the day as tired as the napless little girl who won the award for most determined to walk rather than ride in the stroller when she got tired. I do have to say that she also did NOT ask to be carried. Of course she also did not walk very quickly when we were trying to not get totally soaked either. And only the promise of ice cream got her to put on her rain coat (I was being hopeful and left my raincoat in the car). As far as seeing animals -- the monkeys and gibbons (look like monkeys to a 3-year-old) were the big hit of the day with the under-11 crowd (Megan said she must not remember what it's like to be 3 because she couldn't stare at the monkeys that long.), and the rest of us enjoyed any glimpse we were allowed between chasing after kids that were ready to race on to the next thing!

Sunday we arrived back home in La Crosse shortly before 5, and Nessa was in bed and asleep for the night by 5:30! (OK, I know Shawn is going to call me on this -- she was in bed for the night and other than waking up several times and making noise to wake up and alarm her parents, she was asleep most of the night.)

There are a few pictures of the zoo ... I have no idea when I'll get around to posting them, but I will eventually.

And in other news -- we have our van back!!! :-)

2 comments:

Janeen said...

What zoo did you guys go to? We hit the one in Madison but all Natalie wanted to do was go to the park that was in the middle of it. *sigh*

Tami of BrooksGroth said...

Oh, I guess I should have mentioned that we went to the MN zoo in Apple Valley. It was my first time back there since Megan was 3! We took Nessa to the Madison zoo last fall/winter (? I think), and she enjoyed seeing some of the animals while there which encouraged me to take her this time, but the MN zoo is very spread out with animals more in their natural habitat which is great for the animals and older children/adults, but not so great for young children that are impatient with "finding the animals", plus it's very spread out in terms of walking from one display to another in some areas of the zoo.

By the way I love your avatar!!! :-)