Friday, August 04, 2006

What's new (and old) this week!

Forgive me for not yet getting vacation photos up here -- this week has gone by in a blur and now we're getting ready for a weekend on the lake in Cumberland with my parents.

In quick news --
Shawn did indeed get a part in the upcoming La Crosse Community Theatre Play, Epic Proportions and will be rehearsing most nights between now and Friday September 8th when the play opens.

Megan had her 9 year check up appointment and is officially 4 foot 8 inches so she only has half a foot to go before she's officially as tall as her mother. The only concern we had was her recurring bloody noses and her large tonsils causing her discomfort and making her snore. As I expected the tonsils aren't really a concern at this point since she has been quite healthy this year and we haven't noticed any actual obstructive sleep apnea, and we were told that at this point we could pursue treatment for the bloody noses at any point that they become "too annoying." We also signed up for a healthy lifestyle program (I can't remember the official name at the moment) and Megan and I both received pedometers to wear and our goal is to work up to 10,000 steps in a day. After yesterday, I know I won't be able to get there without lots of walks, stair climbing, or dancing (thank you desk job).

Megan is also thrilled to be going to spend some time with her Aunt Ellen, including some time shopping! (Shopping is more fun with Aunt Ellen than with mom, trust me on that one.)

Nessa continues to learn new things every day and once in awhile she'll come out with new words and then promptly refuse to say them the next day (the look she gives makes me think she does this on purpose). The cutest thing she does lately that I need to try to get a photo of is that she dances around like a ballerina with her hands above her head and she puts her head down in "somersault" position (some day she'll surprise herself by following through!). Of course she's also full of the not so cute toddler demands of doing things her own way and has become proficient at throwing herself on the floor as well and I'm sure this will make my parents smile this weekend as they remind me of my own childhood tantrums.

In the what's old this week there's the birthday thing I had on Wednesday. I didn't think about it too much before my birthday (we've been a little busy) and I don't objectively think 35 is really that much of a milestone (or seriously that old either but I am feeling my age these days ... not to mention spending money on hair color) but I found myself thinking back to how I felt on my 30th birthday and the thoughts and plans I had for the next 5 years back then. To say a lot has happened in the the last 5 years would be an understatement!

More photos and updates coming soon -- I promise -- after all, I'll have to do something with myself this next week while Shawn is at rehearsal! :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the "treatment" for bloody noses?

Tami of BrooksGroth said...

For instances such as Megan's where the nose bleeds are frequent, but do stop relatively quickly the treatment to stop frequent nose bleeds is to cauterize the nose. We're familiar with this because her father had to have it done. Here is a definition I found of cauterizing the nose:

Cauterization involves using special solutions or an electrical or heating device to burn the vessel so that it stops bleeding. Your doctor will numb your nose before the procedure.

------------------

Also just a reminder to please sign your name to all comments or log in to an account to publish a comment (most anonymous and unsigned comments will not be published due to prior experiences). Thank you, Tami