Monday, April 03, 2006

Business (Objects) As Usual

Shawn here. Well, it's official: I'm no longer employed by Firstlogic. Neither is anyone else, as Firstlogic no longer exists. I am now an employee of Business Objects, a publicly traded firm with thousands of employees worldwide and over a billion dollars in annual sales.

The good news is that I will continue to be an employee of Business Objects for the foreseeable future. Some of my co-workers (up to 60 by one estimate, out of about 400 total Firstlogic employees) were not so lucky: they were told that their services are only required through the end of April, or in some cases the end of June. Although I am happy to have my job, it still sucks to know that people you like to work with will soon be gone (especially when people you think should have been let go somehow kept their jobs).

Days like this are never much fun. The remnants of our "Last Day of Firstlogic" party on Friday were still in the office, so walking into work was like waking up on New Year's Day with a bit of a hangover and seeing all the mess from the New Year's Eve party still in the living room. You spend the day trying to find out who will be gone and who will still be around, while trying to act like you're not trying to find out. Not much work gets done, and you're not quite sure what to do. It's a very dysfunctional day trying to pretend that "Nothing's wrong--I'm just like every other day!"

My record (since becoming a programmer) now stands at Shawn 7, Lay Offs 0. My personal best for the longest time with a single employer, which had been growing daily through last Friday, has now settled at 4 years, 10 months, 3 days. Today was Day 1 of working towards a new mark. I hope there will be many more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shawn, I'm so glad you still have your job! Best of luck on your new journey. :) Ellen