Sunday, September 04, 2005

Nose Noises

Shawn here. I found out tonight I can make my daughter cry when she is otherwise happy. Oh joy.

We have played a game with Nessa since she was a few weeks old that I'll call "Nose Noises". We ask her, usually during her morning diaper change, what sound her nose makes today, then we press her nose and make a funny sound: an oink, a donkey noise, or whatever...any (theoretically) amusing noise we can make with our mouth. Usually we do it the first time, express surprise that her nose makes such a funny noise, and then do it two or three more times. The usual result is smiles, maybe even giggles.

I realized at supper tonight that I hadn't played it in quite some time. I was holding Nessa while everyone else finished eating, and I thought I would demonstrate for my parents, who are visiting. So I pushed her nose and did a "Vroom, vroom" noise, like a motorcycle revving. I didn't get much reaction, so I did it again, louder. For some reason I looked away briefly, and then all of a sudden Nessa was crying. I'm told she had a very cute "WTF was that?" face before deciding she didn't like it, which accounted for the pause, but then she was screaming, everyone else was laughing, and I was wondering what went wrong. So I held her close, and told her I was sorry, and promised that I wouldn't make her nose make that noise any more. She calmed down and everything was fine again.

I of course felt like a complete heel for making a little girl cry...and not just any little girl, but my own darling daughter! Nice going, lunkhead--she'll never be Daddy's Little Girl at this rate. Anyway, add yet another Obscure Parenting Lesson to my growing collection: 5 months is too young for your daughter's nose to make "vroom vroom" noises. Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Daddy's Gonna Eat Your Fingers"
>
> This one is for all of who:
> a) have kids
> b) had kids
> c) was a kid
> d) know a kid!
>
> As I was packing for my business trip, my 3-year old daughter
> was having a wonderful time playing on the bed. At one point, she
said,
>
> "Daddy look at this," and stuck out two of her fingers.
>
> Trying to keep her entertained, I reached out and stuck her tiny
> fingers
> in my mouth and said, "Daddy's gonna eat your fingers!"
> pretending to eat them before I rushed out of the room again.
>
> When I returned, my daughter was standing on the bed staring at her
> fingers with a devastated look on her face.
>
> I said, "What's wrong, honey?"
>
> She replied, "What happened to my booger?"