Monday, August 22, 2005

Sunday night -- week in review

I hope to make posting a week in review a regular part of my weekend -- although I hope to usually be doing it a bit earlier in the evening. After the girls are asleep thought I can get started on things and it can get late fast.

Tonight I turned on the computer to finish some transcription work, but in addition to finishing that I had to check on how the items I'm selling on ebay are doing and, of course, check my email. :-)

The new table
At the beginning of this week we started using our new kitchen table. This may not seem like big news to you, but we've been searching for a new kitchen table since we moved into this house and we *finally* have one! The built-in seating in our kitchen required a small pedestal table in order for us to use the space well and be comfortable. My pedestal table was much to large and Shawn's small table had legs.

We used the small table with legs for the last year, but were always bumping our legs agains the table's legs so we continued to search for a small pedestal table -- and discovered they're very hard to find (outside of restaurants that is). We searched, considered having one made, and searched some more ... And then got distracted by this delightful baby and hadn't actually actively searched for awhile, but rather just grumbled about the situation whenever we bumped our legs trying to sit at the table.

A couple of weeks ago I was home alone and "stuck" on the couch with a sleeping Nessa with no book or magazine within reach, but eventually I did manage to reach the basket of catalogs on the floor and began looking through the odd catalogs that we had received (the ones you wonder how you got on the mailing list). That is when I found our wonderful, new *small* pedestal table.

So, now we no longer bump our legs, but our cat William is still trying to figure out how to get off of the pass through above the table without running into that pedestal that we love so much. Proof, once again, that there's no pleasing everyone.


The search for better diapers
Another thing occupying my time, and way too much of my brain power, is the search for a better diaper for Nessa. Don't get me wrong, I love cloth diapers in general (and a few hours of Nessa in disposables reminds me just how much), but I never had these kind of challenges way back when I was diapering Megan. The problem is that Nessa has skinny legs for her weight -- who knew! We're having a hard time getting a good fit on diapers and covers which means we were having leaks -- something I don't tolerate. To further complicate this there are WAY too many new options out there in cloth diapering. Sigh. I think I'm on my way to finding some solutions, but I won't know until they arrive and I try the various new diapers and covers on Nessa -- it's a slow process since I'm selling off the diapers we don't like on ebay and slowly trying one cover and/or diaper before buying a dozen and then not liking them as was the case with the ones I'm selling. So, while I could go on that's probably more than most of you want to know. I'll update you when I find some I'm thrilled with though.

Growing out of WAY too many clothes
Sniff, sniff. We love to see our Nessa grow, but it's so sad when I go through her drawers and remove all of the clothes that no longer fit her. Today I removed two large clothes baskets full!

Still no rolling over from back to tummy
So, Nessa has been rolling from tummy to back easily since July 4th, and STILL she hasn't (won't?) go the other way. We even put her on the waterproof pad on her back and surrounded her by toys that were just out of her reach while cheering her on earlier this week. She laughed at our efforts and went as far as her side, but never all the way over (her arm seems to be in the way and she hasn't figured this out). Thinking back it seems a bit cruel to taunt her with toys just out of reach, but we're really just trying to encourage her full potential (she says trying to convince self)... yikes we're pushy parents already!

In the other accomplishments department, Nessa has been increasingly reaching for, picking up, and holding her toys and teethers. It's been a lot of fun watching her start to actually play with her toys. Okay, mostly she just slobbers all over them as she gumms them, but it's still been fun. She also enjoys hearing the various noises that her toys make as she moves them around on the way to her mouth.

Megan attended VBS (and Brownie day camp last week)
This week Megan attended Vacation Bible School each evening from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at our church. It was another time that I was grateful that our church is within walking distance. On Thursday Shawn, Nessa and I watched the program the kids put on as they sang songs and told us about the week. Since she looked forward to it each day I think she had a good time.

Last week Megan went to Brownie day camp in the afternoons. She wasn't sure about this whole "day camp" thing before she went on Monday but she ended up having a great time and earning several patches that I now have to iron on her Brownie sash (thank goodness they don't have to be sewn on!). She also made goo which is something really neat made out of glue, water and borax that I've agreed to let her make at home this week.

Well, those are the highlights that come to mind. I hope you all had a good week as well. -- Tami

1 comment:

Mel & Jo said...

Tami -

Here's one Aunt who is willing to read up on what the Brooks/Groth/Powell family is up to!!!! Keep the pictures and updates coming :)

Love,
Jo