Friday, October 27, 2006

Daddy-Daughter Tales

Shawn here. Wednesday evening Tami, Nessa, and I went to the new, bigger Barnes & Noble that just opened at the mall. Tami went off to look for things for herself and Megan, and I set Nessa down and just followed her as she toddled around the store. She was very excited (all those books!) and went up one aisle and down another, smiling and giggling. She was very good--occasionally she would stop and touch a book, but then she'd be off again to see what else there was to see. When she finally slowed down and actually took a book off the shelf, I had to laugh. The book she picked was "How To Be A Lady". It was right next to "How To Say Thank You", which Nessa considered briefly but then left alone...

Later, when Tami had Nessa back in the children's section, Nessa saw a stuffed kitty that she grabbed and wouldn't set down, so she has a new toy. The kitty has a light brown back and white belly, nose, and paws, so Tami suggested we call it Honey. I was afraid that might lead to some confusion, so I started calling it Honeycat. Of course, once I'd gotten that far, I had to go all the way, so I now refer to it (sometimes, anyway) as B. J. Honeycat.

Last night I wasn't feeling so great when I got home, so after feeding Nessa I put on a signing video from the library that I hadn't seen yet. Nessa sat in my lap for the entire video, watching contently and occasionally doing some of the signs. It was wonderful snuggle time. We're pretty good buds, my daughter and I.

I've also been picking Nessa up from day care for the last few days in an attempt to get her to leave without fussing so much. That has worked, but apparently at a price. This morning I took Nessa in for the drop off, and for the first time ever (that I know of) she was fussy and clingy and did not want to stay. Major Daddy guilt...sigh. Be careful what you wish for, I guess, although I still wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Nobody ever told me that being a Dad would be this much fun!

No comments: